Staff Backend Engineer
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
parcelLab, the leading Operations Experience Management platform, is growing internationally, and fast! We're looking for the best talent from across the world to help us bring people and brands closer together.
We are looking for candidates experience in the development of complex, distributed systems, and a passion for delivering high-quality, user-centered software solutions. You will be joining our Engineering team as a Staff Backend Engineer. In this role, you will build the systems that power pre-checkout, delivery and returns experiences for more than 550 brands worldwide.
For this role, you must reside in Munich, Germany.
What you can expect:
- Collaborate with Engineering Leadership and Product Owners to deliver features and improvements in our core product portfolio, which serves millions of users daily
- Collaborate with stakeholders in Engineering to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment and to ensure alignment with business objectives
- Design, develop, and optimize scalable, distributed, high-throughput backend architecture using modern technologies and frameworks
- Actively contribute to code reviews and provide mentorship to junior team members
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends, technologies, and best practices to maintain the competitive edge of our product offerings.
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development, preferably with a focus on product engineering and highly scalable systems
- Proficient in any modern technology stacks, such as Python, Typescript, Ruby, or similar backend ecosystems, and frameworks, such as Django, Ruby on Rails, or Spring
- Strong experience with modern infrastructure, such REST APIs, GraphQL, Relational / Non-Relational Databases, Message Queues, AWS Infrastructure, Terraform, and GitHub Actions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a strong commitment to a product-focused mindset
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Fluent in English; proficiency in German is a plus.
Perks & Benefits:
🧠 Plenty of room for your own ideas...space to try, fail and learn!
🛳 Comprehensive 30-60-90 day onboarding plan in place from the very first day to help you integrate seamlessly with the rest of the company and understand new responsibilities
🏝 As a digital-first company, you choose whether to work entirely from home, in one of our offices or a mix that suits you. Not close to one of our offices No problem! Find yourself a co-working space instead, and we’ll pay
🪴 Make use of our home office set-up budget to get kitted out (a spacious desk, comfy chair, some houseplants, or great tech accessories!), and all this alongside the latest MacBook or PC
🚀 Career development opportunities, including our Leadership Development Program and our Future Leaders Program, as well as online language courses, available budgets for further training and access to LinkedIn Learning
🧘🏽♀️ Stay grounded with our free meditation, mindfulness and coaching sessions via our mental wellbeing platform nilo.health
🎉 Regular company retreats, parcelLab events (in-person and online), local and regional meet-ups, as well as team off-sites
🌏 Be part of a motivated, diverse and international team made up of over 34 different nationalities; and with a five-star rating for company culture and employee experience on Glassdoor, you’ll love working here!
We bring people and brands closer together by closing the experience gap post-sales and beyond, transforming operational complexity into opportunities to outperform for 550+ brands worldwide, including IKEA, Bose, Puma, Lidl, Farfetch and Nespresso.
With offices in Munich, London and Boston, we have been highlighted by the Financial Times as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in Europe in 2021.
It’s all in a day’s work for us:
- Monitor over six million shipments per day
- Now actively managing operations experiences in 153 countries across the globe
- Send around thirteen million pro-active, personalized, event-driven emails
- Shipping data comes from more than 150+ carriers worldwide, including DHL, FedEx & DPD
- Creating over 40 million reasons for people to fall in love with brands each day
For brands, that means more chances to create relationships that last. And for the people that buy from them, it means turning mundane operational moments into moments of joy.
parcelLab is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We live the motto always joy, always team, always equality, which means we celebrate diversity and do not accept any form of discrimination or harassment. We believe that diversity enriches our employee experience and allows each of us to deliver the best work possible.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability status or other lived experience.
Come be part of our growth – contribute your ideas and share in our success as we continue to improve the post-sales customer journey for millions of people every day.